Reinforce measurement skills in your first grade classroom with this hands- on, Common Core- aligned math activity! Barnyard Games is a printable math center that will help your students practice comparing the length of two objects indirectly by using a third object. Use this center to supplement any standards- based, 1st grade math curriculum!
1.MD.A.1 Order three objects by length; compare the lengths of two objects indirectly by using a third object.
1.MD.A.2 Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units, by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end; understand that the length measurement of an object is the number of same-size length units that span it with no gaps or overlaps.
Directions: The farm animals are playing a game! Who can take the longest jump from the barn to the tractor? Measure the jumps with unifix cubes. Write your work on a record sheet!
This printable math center includes:
- 20 measurement cards
- Printable unifix cube strips
- Answer key
- “Directions” page, storage label, and 2 record sheets
- Color and black & white versions to help you save on ink!
How to use this in your classroom:
- Assign as an individual, partner, or small-group center!
- Engage your students during targeted, small-group instruction!
- Invite students to use when they finish other assignments early!
- Prep your sub plans with ease- called away to a meeting? Unexpected sick day? Your students will love playing this math game individually, in partners/groups, or teacher vs. student on a document camera!
- Fill extra time at the end of a lesson with a meaningful, standards-based activity!
- Print black & white copies to send home with your struggling students for extra practice!
Find this center in the following bundles:
- First Grade Math Centers BUNDLE | Measurement
- First Grade Math Centers MEGA BUNDLE | 64 Standards- Based Activities
Stop by next Monday for another $1 Math Center Spotlight! More first grade math centers for measurement are available here: