What teacher can resist pulling an epic prank on her unsuspecting students? If you’re looking for a great April Fools’ Day classroom prank, look no further… I LOVED planting “donut seeds” with my first grade students! This joke is great for kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade classes!
When you tell your students that you’re planting doughnut seeds, you’ll inevitably have a few exclaim, “Those are just Cheerios!” My response was always, “Didn’t you know that’s what Cheerios are- donut seeds? What other types of seeds do you eat?” Even the skeptics will be blown away when they return to the classroom to discover that mini donuts “sprouted” while they were gone!
This activity is perfect for kindergarten, first grade, or second grade students. Here are directions for pulling off this fun April Fools’ Day classroom prank:
- First, prep the prank by filling the sandwich bags with Cheerios and attaching the “donut seeds” labels in advance. There are 3 printable options for the labels. I also suggest filling the cups or bowls with “dirt” beforehand. This is a great opportunity to ask parent volunteers for assistance!
- Discuss the life cycle of plants with your students. I often taught plant science in the spring in my first grade classroom, so my kiddos had lots of background knowledge about plants. Consider reading a book about plants to start the lesson. Ask- “What do seeds need in order to grow?”
- Ask- “Did you know that donuts grow from seeds?” Show a bag of Cheerios (Fruit Loops or any other circular cereals work just as well!) and explain that they will use the seeds to grow donuts today.
- Distribute the “planting” materials to your students. Show them how to create small holes in the “dirt,” plant one “seed,” and cover it. If you’re having them water the seeds, do it now.
- Remind them that plants take time to grow. While your class is out of the room for specials, lunch, etc., place one mini donut on top of each cup. Their minds will be blown when they see that their seeds have already started to “sprout” baby donuts! Now is a great time to have them complete one of the “How to Plant Donut Seeds” step- by- step printables.
- Decide when/how you wish to reveal the truth! I recommend allowing the kids to eat the donuts while they complete the secret message printable (see below). Provide one copy per student or complete it together as a class by using a document camera & projector. Remind them that they shouldn’t shout the secret before everyone has a chance to finish!
- Optional- have students complete the “donut seeds” writing activity after the lesson or during literacy centers!
The step- by- step printable worksheet and writing response, combined with a few photos of your prank in action, make a great April bulletin board!
Click here to learn more about this lesson. I’d love to know how your students react- leave a comment or drop a line at email@example.com to share!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Little Owl’s newsletter to get more fun lessons and FREEBIES in your inbox on the first of every month!