It’s time to build sandcastles! 3D Sandcastles is a printable math center that will help your students practice recognizing composite shapes made from 3D shapes (cones, cubes, cylinders, rectangular prisms, spheres). Use this center to supplement any standards- based, 1st grade math curriculum!
1.G.A.2 Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
Directions: Place a shovel or clip on the shapes you see in the sandcastles. Write your work on a record sheet!
This printable math center includes:
- 4 sets of cards (24 cards total)
- Shovel cards
- “Directions” page, storage label, and 4 record sheets
- Color and black & white versions to help you save on ink!
How to use this in your classroom:
- Assign as an individual, partner, or small-group center!
- Engage your students during targeted, small-group instruction!
- Invite students to use when they finish other assignments early!
- Prep your sub plans with ease- called away to a meeting? Unexpected sick day? Your students will love playing this math game individually, in partners/groups, or teacher vs. student on a document camera!
- Fill extra time at the end of a lesson with a meaningful, standards-based activity!
- Print black & white copies to send home with your struggling students for extra practice!
Stop by next Monday for another $1 Math Center Spotlight! More first grade math centers for 3D geometry are available here:
Find this center in the following bundles:
- First Grade Math Centers BUNDLE | Three- Dimensional Geometry
- First Grade Math Centers MEGA BUNDLE | 64 Standards- Based Activities
In case you missed it, check out last week’s spotlight about 2D shapes: Shape Monsters!
One thought on “$1 Math Center Spotlight: 3D Sandcastles”