Can you build a scary monster out of shapes? Shape Monsters is a printable math center that will help your students practice creating composite shapes with 2D shapes! Use this center to supplement any standards- based, 1st grade math curriculum!
1.G.A.2 Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
Directions: Use pattern blocks to create a monster. Write your work on a record sheet!
This printable math center includes:
- 10 building mats
- “Directions” page, storage label, and a record sheet
- Color and black & white versions to help you save on ink!
How to use this in your classroom:
- Assign as an individual, partner, or small-group center!
- Engage your students during targeted, small-group instruction!
- Invite students to use when they finish other assignments early!
- Prep your sub plans with ease- called away to a meeting? Unexpected sick day? Your students will love playing this math game individually, in partners/groups, or teacher vs. student on a document camera!
- Fill extra time at the end of a lesson with a meaningful, standards-based activity!
- Print black & white copies to send home with your struggling students for extra practice!
Stop by next Monday for another $1 Math Center Spotlight! More first grade math centers for 2D geometry are available here:
Find this center in the following bundles:
- First Grade Math Centers BUNDLE | Two- Dimensional Geometry
- First Grade Math Centers MEGA BUNDLE | 64 Standards- Based Activities