Help the mad scientist feed the monsters! Feed the Monster is a digital, two-dimensional geometry center that will help your students practice: 1) recognizing the attributes of 2D shapes, 2) partitioning 2D shapes, and 3) analyzing composite shapes made with 2D shapes. Use this center to supplement any standards- based, 1st grade math curriculum! Compatible with Google Slides (™) and PowerPoint (™).
Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size)
Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
Partition circles and rectangles into two and four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, fourths, and quarters, and use the phrases half of, fourth of, and quarter of. Describe the whole as two of, or four of the shares. Understand for these examples that decomposing into more equal shares creates smaller shares.
Directions: Help the mad scientist feed the monster! Match the two-dimensional shapes to the monster’s instructions.
This digital math center includes:
- Access to 2 activities with 10 problems each- in Google Slides (TM) and PowerPoint (TM) formats
How to use this in your classroom:
- Assign as a distance learning activity!
- Engage your students during math centers!
- Prep your sub plans with ease- called away to a meeting? Unexpected sick day? Your students will love playing this math game individually or teacher vs. student on a document camera!
- Fill extra time at the end of a lesson with a meaningful, standards- based activity!
Stop by next Monday for another $1 Math Center Spotlight! More first grade centers for two- dimensional geometry can be found here:
Find this center in the following bundles:
- First Grade Math Centers BUNDLE | Two- Dimensional Geometry
- First Grade DIGITAL Math Centers BUNDLE | Google Slides | PowerPoint
- First Grade Math Centers MEGA BUNDLE | 64 Standards- Based Activities
In case you missed it, check out last week’s spotlight about subtraction concepts: Field Trip to the Zoo!
One thought on “$1 Math Center Spotlight: Feed the Monster”